Monday, January 12, 2009

Fear

I come from a long line of worriers. It's thick in my blood. It's what I'm good at. It's what I excel at. I drive my husband nuts with all the worrying I do. He has no need to worry because I more than cover it for the both of us...and our children...and our cats...and our extended family...and our friends! Honestly, it's ridiculous and I admit, I have a problem.

Sometimes I am consumed by great fear. Fear of the future. Fear of the past. Fear of the unknown. Fear of the known. Fear of what might happen. Fear of what might not happen. Fear, fear, fear. The list goes on and on. I know I shouldn't fear so much but at times I find myself stuck in the cycle of fear.

Jesus tells us "not to fear for He has overcome the world". The Bible tells us over and over "Do not be afraid". Yet, I continue to fear. The current economy situation does not help my fears at all. There is bad news lurking on every corner. Bad things happening to good people. Jobs being lost, people dying and everywhere I turn, people are hurting. Why is God allowing these things to happen? Why doesn't He step in and stop the bad stuff and the pain? How can He just sit back and allow it to happen? Why doesn't He do more?

It's easy to get caught up in the question game. I get on a roll and pretty soon I can't stop. The problem with why is that there is never an answer sufficient. Once I ask why and receive an explanation then I immediately think of another question to add: Why did you allow him to do that? Because he was selfish and without God. Why didn't you stop him? Because he wouldn't have learned the lesson. Why won't you take away the pain? Because you don't trust me completely. The questions never cease...

I don't think it's the answers to the questions that I desire as much as knowing the mind of God -how He operates and what He is really doing with us here on earth. Maybe I don't desire the answers to these questions after all. Maybe I desire His truth and His Will. Maybe I desire to know Him deeply and passionately. Maybe I desire to trust Him completely.

Isn't that just like God to turn my questions into an adventure to seek Him. Thank you Lord for giving us your wonderful book, your living word. I know I will still worry but deep down I know God has my back. For He says, "Never will I leave you and never will I forsake you", Hebrews 13:5.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart." You are right, it is an adventure. I myself have been wondering why so many bad things happening in our world. I was reading the other day that bad times teach us about ourselves in ways that we would not know if times were only good. When we are hurting, we become more like Christ. When we persevere through all the pain, we allow God to be glorified. Can you imagine what it would be like if there were no trials and sorrows? We can't forget that we are on Earth and not in heaven. Remember that FEAR is False Expecations Appearing Real. We must look to the Truth...God.

Tracy White said...

What a perfect comment. I'm glad you told me what FEAR stands for - how appropriate and true. I'll be using that info. in the future. Sometimes it's difficult to realize the good with all the bad things happening and I do agree that during the bad times we learn much more about our character and about who God is. Thanks for the great insight!

Post a Comment