Sunday, January 11, 2009

Understanding My Purpose

Do you ever wish God would just make himself known to you in a tangible and unquestionable way? When I hear people talk so casually about how God has spoken to them about this or that I often wonder how they can hear Him so clearly when I seem to struggle with hearing His voice at all. I do believe God will sometimes hit us with a 2x4 to get our attention but more likely His voice is the quiet gentle whisper that is constantly in the background. We have to choose to hear it or we choose to ignore it.

I have not had a supernatural experience with God (though I do believe it's possible). He has chosen to reveal Himself to me in subtle and gentle ways that could easily be overlooked or thought of as just life. As I mature in my faith, I realize this is the perfect way for Him to speak to me. God tends to do things very opposite of what I (we) might imagine.

I have been struggling with why we are here on earth. After the crisis in my marriage I began to question why I'm here and what is the purpose of living on earth when it would be so much better to just die & go to heaven to a life without such pain & sorrow. I grew bitter and angry with life and with God. I began to withdraw from the Lord and finally decided to angrily ask the Lord to reveal my purpose (honestly, didn't expect much of an answer).

Today during church, God spoke to me loud and clear through our pastor. The topic was "Impact". Why are we here and How do we follow. I know it was God speaking because I felt it deep in my heart & soul. The more the pastor spoke the more attentive I became. I am here because God has called me to live for impact. My purpose is to help others know Christ and to help them fulfill their purpose in Christ. As Philipians 1 tells us, "I am here for others progress and joy in the faith. Death is my gain (to be with God) but Life is impact (to help others be with God)." It's not really about me but about other people.

You see, I have been so wrapped up in my own selfish pain that I forgot my higher calling. I lost my perspective and was dwelling on my pitiful situation. The truth is, it's my choice on how I respond. It's my choice to be angry and bitter and to allow these negative emotions to take over my life; or it's my choice to release the past to God and start living for His Kingdom.

If you are feeling down and in great dispair, call out to our Father to speak to you and to reveal Himself to you. Even if you don't really know Him but are desparate for help, call to Him. He will not ignore your cry and He will be faithful to answer you. Give Him a chance to talk to you and remember He may not always reveal Himself the way you think He should. I promise you He is always FOR YOU and WITH YOU and you can ALWAYS count on Him to bring about good from any situation or circumstance.

2 comments:

Titus 2 Thandi said...

And only one who has been through a painful situation can minister to others who also travel that same weary road. I have a close relative who has lived your experience, I hope this will help me to be there for her in a more tangible way.Thanks to you for starting it, and to Jo for recommending your blog.

Tracy White said...

I'm glad you stopped by to check it out and I hope it helps sheds some light on what we experience going through this. It's a long slow process but we can emerge better and stronger than before. I have learned so much from this experience that I truly believe one day I will look back and call this time in my life a blessing because of all the good God has brought from it. I hope your relative has a lot of support from family & friends and I pray she draws near to God and allows Him to take the reigns.

Post a Comment