Monday, March 2, 2009

Laughter Is Still The Best Medicine

When was the last time you laughed out loud? I don't mean a little tiny chuckle, I mean a blurt it out crazy kind of laugh? When was the last time you tossed all your worries to the side and just laughed? I used to think I possessed a pretty good sense of humor and I laughed regularly like anybody else until my marriage feel apart. It felt as if all the humor and fun was sucked right out of my body and all that was left was sadness and despair. It has taken quite a while to figure out how to start laughing again but humor has slowly crept back into my life. I realize now, it's ok to laugh and have fun even though my circumstances may stink. I can't think of a better way to cope with the pain than to throw a little laughter in its face.

I remember one day in particular I was having a tough time. I decided to jump on my spin bike and let out all of my aggression. Everyone says, exercise is the best medicine, right? As I was spinning I started to cry and all of these crazy emotions began filling me up with anger, sadness and bitterness. My head was down and I noticed out of the corner of my eye, my 7 year old daughter darting down the hall. When I glanced up, there she was, dressed as a rock star with a homemade cape, a guitar, a microphone and wet, wild hair as she had just hopped out of the shower. A fast beat song was blasting from my ipod and she put on a show I will never forget. This girl had moves I had never seen before. She was break dancing, jumping, strumming her guitar and before I knew it, I was laughing uncontrollably. You guessed it, the more I laughed the more outrageously she performed and oh, how I wish I had it on video. It would be the sweetest revenge for when she turns 16!

I still smile and chuckle when I think about her crazy performance. It was absolutely hilarious and exactly what I needed. It's amazing how God will use others to minister to us in profound and glorious ways. Don't be afraid to take time out from your pain and delight in the little things around you. God gives us great joy in small packages. It never fails when I am feeling down and out, all I have to do is stop and observe my girls. Before long, a smile emerges and laughter erupts from my lips -somehow the world becomes a much better place...

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I laughed imagining this performance! :) She might have to do it for us when we visit! ha
Can't wait to see you guys!

I so agree... God uses othes to minister to us in profound and glorious ways!

Post a Comment