Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Godly Focus

I am doing a Bible Study on the book "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. I read this book several years ago in another Bible study so it's very interesting to read the answers I wrote back then compared to where I am today. Our group met last night and I have to express my heavy heart. Satan is at full work doing his best to destroy our marriages and destroy our faith in Jesus. I am concerned that even though we call ourselves Christians and try to follow Christ, our thoughts are not aligned with His.

After meeting last night I felt very convicted for not stopping some of the "husband bashing" and reminding all of us of what the Bible says and what Jesus calls us to do. We are not to conform to the thinking of this world but are to be set apart as aliens in this world. Yes, our marriage or situation may not be ideal but God is in control and never allows anything to happen in which He is not aware. In the midst of trials we are to keep our focus on God and it is so important to devote time to reading the Bible and praying continuously. I was convicted of how easy it is to get off track and begin the "entitlement rage". The truth is life is not fair and marriage and life in general is a lot of work.

I've learned so much through this process with my husband and one of my greatest struggles is accepting the past for what it is and choosing to move forward and heal. Some days I'm very good at doing this and other days I fall short. Every time I start to waiver, it's almost always because I'm not connecting or meeting with God. For some people this would seem silly or oversimplified but it's the truth. When we sever our connection with God (or throw a lot of static on the line) we tend to lose our focus and begin the "What if" or the "Poor me" game. We begin to focus on everyone else's faults instead of looking inward to our attitudes, our thoughts and our responses.

God can heal us if we surrender to Him. God will never allow our troubles to go to waste. It's important to look inward to discover what God wants to do in our hearts. He is always working and we can choose to participate willingly or choose to rebel and sit on the sidelines. Trust God to bring you through this and I promise, He will not let you down. You'll be amazed at the works of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment