Friday, February 6, 2009

Online Book Club

One of my favorite activities is reading. There is nothing better than curling up with a good book, a skinny latte and my purring cat to bring a smile to my face. Reading has always been a huge part of my life. I used to read two books a week but now I'm lucky to finish one or two a month.

Reading has always been very therapeutic and it keeps me sane. It gives me an outlet to release my emotions and it gives me a reason to temporarily forget my problems. When my marriage started falling apart I read everything I could about infidelity, betrayal and healing. After a while my mind just couldn't take the seriousness any longer. I grew hungry for a variety of books but I felt guilty if I read something fun and light hearted. I no longer enjoyed this simple pleasure, after all, how could I laugh or be happy at a time like this. Slowly, I was able to start reading other subjects again and now I read a large variety of fiction and nonfiction books that are not about infidelity.

I discovered a great resource for finding good books through an online book club called DearReader.com. Suzanne Beecher started this book club to get people reading again. When you have time check out the website and sign up for a book club. Each day she will email a 5-minute portion of a book for you to sample (the first few chapters), with a different book each week. The best part, there are always fun and exciting things happening like new books, giveaways, chocolate chip cookies delivered to your door and lots of recipes. Click on the happy book image on the left sidebar or visit the book club at http://www.dearreader.com/.

I am not promoting this book club for any other reason than to give you a break to read. There are no kickbacks, no hassles, no problems. So check it out. It's free and most importantly it might inspire you to start reading again.

No comments:

Post a Comment