Thursday, February 5, 2009

Set apart to be different

People can be such downers. I realize this more and more everyday how quickly we jump to conclusions, point out the negatives, misunderstand others, squash their dreams, and secretly hope they will fail. Sometimes we do this consciously and other times we are completely unaware of what we are doing to others. I had a strong conviction the other day to stop "being a downer" when I didn't even realize I was doing it. In my mind I was simply revealing the "better option", stating the "obvious conclusion" or better yet, trying to persuade someone to "embrace my opinions".

I think too often we are are misunderstood and criticized by people who don't take the time to get to know us on the inside. They look at the exterior or our circumstances and they draw their own conclusion as to what is right without bothering to examine what is on the inside, the heart, the motive, the why behind it all. It is so easy to criticize those we do not understand or those who appear different.

As Christians we are set apart for God. We are not of this world. We are aliens in a foreign country and we should be different from the rest of the world. I had an interesting conversation with my husband tonight. The highlight of our discussion included what God asks us to do as His children in Christ. If God asks us to do something considered odd or strange to most people (Christians included) and others don't agree or it's not practiced in today's world, does that make it wrong and has that person really heard from God?

I have decided it's not always about the thing God asks us to do. More than likely it is about the process that leads us to be obedient to God. It's the change God is making inside of us. It's the revelation God reveals to our hearts. It's the transformaton of our character. It's the shift in our perspective. It's God pruning our branches and refining His work of art. It's discovering all He has for us and bringing glory to His name.

We tend to take the easy road and only look at the surface of things, which causes us to be shallow and uneffective. Truth requires us to search deeper and further than we ever expected and it takes effort and sacrifice on our part. Let's be different from this world and allow God's light to shine brightly through us. Let's allow God's masterpiece to be displayed for all to see so others may come to know Him through our actions and our words. Let's stop being "downers" and start being "encouragers".

No comments:

Post a Comment