Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Three days to be exact. Three days to figure out what I'm supposed to do for my husband...I say for him because I feel called to do something especially nice for him. I feel a bit out of my territory on this one. I'm having a difficult time conjuring up lovie - dovie ideas but what keeps popping into my head is to write him a love letter.

So, today after work ended, I sat down at my desk and started to type. It was no good. I couldn't think of anything to write. I started to write about my feelings and before I knew it I was back to the negativity, not the love I wanted to profess. Ughhhh, this was much harder than I expected so I deleted my "love note" and shut down the laptop. On my way home, I tried to think of all the wonderful things I could say and then I realized, I've forgotten how to be mushy, sentimental and over the top in love. I have built these walls around my heart and mind and it's going to take God to knock them down.

The interesting thing is I feel good about Valentine's Day this year. I desire to have a fun filled day with my husband and children to celebrate our love as a family. It's a little weird (and scary) to feel this way. Last year at this time I was not in a good place at all. I remember going to the Hallmark store to look for a card and bursting into tears. Every card I picked up was professing undying, unfailing, committed love for each other. My stomach churned with every card I opened until I knew for sure I was going to puke. So I ran as fast as I could out of that store and to my car. It was a terrible feeling and I remember sitting in the parking lot crying my eyes out.

I don't remember much else about last year's Valentine's Day except one of my husband's gifts. He had hand written me a letter from his heart that had everything I longed to hear - his love for me, his remorse & sorrow, his regret, his hope for the future, his commitment to me. It was the saddest and most precious letter. He had no idea how I longed for those words.

Now here I am a year later, knowing I need to write him a love letter. Knowing he needs to read loving, affirming, committed words from my heart - to know I still love him after all that has happened. The words are stuck but I know they are not the roadblock, it's FEAR. So the question battles within me, will I allow fear to control my actions or will I step out in faith and trust God to tear down these walls?

1 comment:

Joanna said...

So glad this Valentine's day could be one you looked forward to enjoying!!! I hope you hurdled the fear and with the Lord's help wrote that love letter! I'm sure you did.

I appreciate your transparency in your posts!

You are loved!

Post a Comment